Clockwise from north Evidence of settlements in various parts of the town suggests that Minden has been settled since the 3rd century A. The Minden area shows continuing settlement activity from the 1st to the 4th century.
The area then belonged to the Rhine-Weser-Germanic development sphere.
It is widely known as the intersection of the Mittelland Canal and the River Weser.
Minden was a member of the Hanseatic League during the Middle Ages.
The increased self-confidence of the citizens of Minden was demonstrated by the construction of the town hall, probably adjoining the separately governed cathedral precinct.
Nicholas Krage announced Minden's new church order based on Martin Luther′s principles from the pulpit of St.
Martin's Church (Martinikirche) on 13 February 1530.
As a result, Bishop Gottfried von Waldeck moved his official residence from Minden to Petershagen in 1306-7.
The introduction of the Reformation to Minden in 1529 created much conflict in the town, leading to the formation of a 36-man unit that took over the role of town regiment.
The Weser leaves the Weser Uplands and flows into the North German Plain.
The town centre lies 5 kilometres (3 miles) to the north, on a plateau on the western side of the river.
This marked change in terrain divides the upper town from the lower town, and marks the boundary between two ecological zones.